What seems like an incredibly long time ago I grabbed an assortment of kit off a Queensland based blaster enthusiast who goes by the name of OzNerfNerd. I was thinking about this recently and I’m pretty sure that the reason it seems like it was such a long time ago s because it was! I got my hands on some of his Longshot and Reverse Plunger kits over 6 months ago, yet never got around to actually doing anything with the Longshot kits. About 2 months ago I bought another Longshot with the specific purpose of putting this kit into it, but just never got around to it. No matter! No Time like the present! Another cliche! Etc!…
The blaster in question had already had the air restrictors removed before I started on it so we will only be specifically covering the ONN kit install today.
Phillips head screw driver
ONN Longshot kit
Sandpaper/flat faced file
Very strong adhesive (I used 3 day Araldite
We’ll start with the blaster in question.
Start by removing the stock. You should always put the screws in a small container of some sort but you should definitely do it for this mod as we won’t be finishing it on one day!
Then pry the priming handle apart with a claw hammer.
Then you can remove the rest of the screws in the shell. All the screws excluding the two at the very front are the same so that makes things easier for us.
As always, take a moment or two to familiarise yourself with the workings of the blaster. It will make reassembly significantly easier.
Got it? Good. Next up we’ll remove the jam door.
Then the catch.
Be careful not to lose the spring.
Then the priming indicator.
Now we can pull the whole breech and plunger assembly out.
All nicely in one go.
Now to work on said breech.
Start by separating the main pieces. To do this we’ll need to push this pin through.
I normally use a really small screwdriver, but anything you’ve got that’s small enough to fit in the hole left behind will do.
Once the pin is out the breech will simply pop out of the bolt sled.
We’ll work on the bolt sled part first. In highly sprung Longshots this is often the first part to break.
To that end we’ll be reinforcing it with these brackets.
From the factory the bolt sled has these little ridges on the inside. They are not conducive to good adhesion to the reinforcements so they’ll have to go.
Simply sand them away.
Layer your chosen adhesive on, press the brackets hard up against the inside of the bolt sled then wait to dry.
Which takes us to the plunger.
Remove the two screws holding the end cap on.
To free the plunger itself.
There’s then another screw on the plunger head, remove that.
Which should free the spring. Stock? (I got this second hand so can’t be completely sure, but I think it’s stock) spring on the left, ONN on the right.
Next up is the o-ring.
Pry it off with a small screwdriver.
Stock on the left, ONN on the right.
Then put the plunger head back on the rod, complete with the upgraded spring.
Finally we’ll need to pad the plunger. Clean it thoroughly so that we’ve got a good surface to stick it to, make sure it’s centred and that’s about all we need.
Place the plunger back into the plunger tube and screw the back plate in too.
Now we unfortunately get to play the waiting game. You could continue but you really want to make sure the glue on the bolt sled is dry because we don’t want those brackets to move. So we’ll call it a night (or three) at this point and come back later.
OK, and we’re back. Reassemble the breech and plunger assembly.
Slot it back in the shell.
Grab the priming indicator.
Pop it back in the shell.
Then the catch.
Then the jam door.
Then the shell, priming handle and stock. Again all the screws are the same except for the two at the very front of the blaster, they’re the extra long ones.