Ahh, my first non-Nerf banded mod post and what a non-Nerf blaster to start with. There are plenty of people out there who follow the “it’s Nerf or nothing” mantra but they have obviously never experienced the power of the Magnum. Straight out of the box this hits over 20m, so I wanted to see what it could do modded!
This walk-through will take us through a barrel replacement, seal improvement, and general simplification of the blaster. I’ve removed the mechanism that causes the front barrel to move when priming, as well as an assortment of the locks.
Tools and materials needed…
Screw drivers, phillips head and flat
Dremel, with cutting and grinding attachments
Barrel material (in this case I used 17/32 brass, but whatever works for you should be fine)
Cut the orange barrel cover like so, so you can pry it off.
The top one should come off without the need to cut it.
Open it up and take a good look at the internals.
The Magnum runs a direct plunger system with an incredibly strong stock spring.
So strong that it needs a decent sized lever to prime it.
Continue the disassembly by removing the blue part in the centre of the picture below and the plunger assembly as a whole.
Said plunger assembly removed from the blaster.
With the plunger pulled out.
This is the hole in the end of the plunger tube.
So lets start by making that a little bigger.
Next, grab this part from the front of the blaster. There will be a few small springs involved with it, they’re no longer needed.
Cut two small sections, one about 10mm and one about 20mm, of it off.
Clean up the rough edges and test fit them over your chosen barrel material. Some grinding/filing might be required.
Then place the stock external plunger seal over the top of the new barrel.
Test fit it back in the shell.
Complete with the plunger tube as well. Assuming it all fits, remove the seal and glue the two barrel spacers into place.
Cut four small notches in the end of the barrel.
Thread it with fishing line.
Put the seal back over the top and glue it into place.
This is to stop darts getting pulled right into the plunger chamber due to vacuum loading.
Put it the barrel and plunger tube back in the shell. You should also notice at this stage that I’ve removed a lot of stuff you don’t need; you don’t have to do that if you don’t want to, I just didn’t see much point in keeping it there.
Then put the plunger back in, ensuring that the top side has the pin.
Replace the trigger, pull the plunger all the way back and reseat the front of the priming lever.
Then reseat the pivot point of the priming lever.
Push the plunger and priming lever all the way forward and put the spring back in.
Put the shell back together and we’re done.
Stock ranges with streamlines are incredibly varied, but I’d like to say that around 21-22m would be a reasonable expectation for when the darts actually flew straight for even a little while.
Modded ranges would only be around 25m, but it is now a hell of a lot more consistent/accurate. However, as you can see, I’ve still got a full foot of brass. I make no claims that this is good, in fact it’s far too much for this blaster. I just haven’t got around to testing what length barrel I should have. The best shots come with the dart pushed about 100mm into the barrel. By that logic I’d say maybe 100-120mm would be a good length barrel for a blaster of this power, but further testing is most certainly required.