Mod Shop – The Longer Strike – Longstrike Shell/Titan internals

I have internet again! The new place is starting to feel a lot more like home now and even the blaster unpacking is well under way. We’re certainly not 100% normal yet, but it’s getting there.

Anyway, the topic for today is something I’ve been looking forward to for a while. All the modification posts I’ve made so far have been very detailed walk throughs, designed to be followed by even the most novice of modifiers. This one will instead be my first foray into something a little more complicated. I’ll be as upfront as I can about this; this post and the many like it that will follow in the future are not designed for the beginning modifier. This is not a step-by-step walk through; but rather a way of showing you some of the more interesting things that can be done. By all means, please feel free to have a go at this and ask any questions you feel you need to ask, but if you can’t figure out most of what’s going on from this post alone, then perhaps this isn’t for you just yet.

Most blaster modifications are not all that difficult and what I’m hoping to achieve with posts like this is to inspire others to have a go. Once you’re experienced in modifying your blasters, think about how you can improve blasters yourself, don’t just always blindly follow guides you found on the internet. Come up with something new and exciting and add something back to the community yourself!

A few months ago I built myself an RSCB’d BBUMB, but more importantly, actually got to use it. I’d played around with singled titans before but due to the modding restrictions we had at ANU (basically AR’s only), I’d never been able to use them and thus never really put much thought in to high powered blasters. Then about 12months ago the Canberra and Southern NSW Dart Tag group started up and hey look, far more relaxed modding restrictions. Played a few games with the BBUMB and while it was cool, it just didn’t suit my running play style like a Raider did. This then got me motivated again in things that weren’t necessarily practical, but are well cool.

After a game one day a mate had said to me how disappointed he was with the performance of his LongStike and if I could help him. I suggested the standard spring+AR mods but explained that it would only ever be on par with my Raider, and not to suddenly expect BBUMB sorts of ranges. The thought then immediately popped in to my head “Why not get BBUBM sorts of ranges out of a LongStrike? I’ve got a LongStrike that I never use, so why not?” I went home and started sizing up the BBUMB internals and the LongStrike shell before it dawned on me; “Forget buying another BBUMB, I’ve got a Titan sitting there that also never gets used!”

I already knew that I was never going to use it in a game, I just wanted something cool, so I was very strict on myself in that it had to look as much like a LongStrike as possible when I was finished, even if that meant sacrificing practicality. All in all I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, in that it looks like a LongStrike but is a singled Titan. As of right now she works! Only needs paint and it will be finished. More photos to come once that’s done.

The donors. You’ll obviously notice that I had previously painted my LongStrike, this colour scheme will remain on the finished product.Photobucket

Dremel’ed the buggery out of the shell.Photobucket

Photobucket

Test fitting the pump.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The makings of the breech. 17/32 brass with a cutout to load the dart, 9/16 piece to slide over the top of it Obvoiusly some of the shell was cut away too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

How I made the bolt for the breech. Cut out a piece of 19/32 brass and drilled a hole through it, placed an M3 captive nut used in press fittings through it, glued the two together, soldered the 19/32 brass to the 9/16 breech slide.

Photobucket

Photobucket

All of the components in place.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Titan tank in place, complete with a rather large cut out in the shell. I’m aware this now looks like a butchered LongStrike and not at all cool, but bare with me.

Photobucket

I cut up a 6 clip for looks.

Photobucket

The breech open.

Photobucket

Half open.

Photobucket

Closed.

Photobucket

The physically finished product from the right. Looks suspiciously like a Longstrike, right?

Photobucket

The physically finished product from the left. Again, with painting to come.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here’s the finished product ladies and gents.

(Damn it! I just noticed in this pic that I’ve apparently lost the stock clip release button. Balls.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And there we have it folks; one singled Titan inside a Longstrike shell. Ranges are fairly typical of this sort of blaster, 40m flat with a streamline. Leaves welts through clothing, not something you’d ever want to actually use in a game even if it was practical.

 

Best part however was taking out 2nd place for Best Blaster in the OzNerf modding competition. Very proud of that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s